- Press Release: EPF speaks at the WoodCircus Conference presenting its White Paper 2040 with policy recommendations on 1 December 2021December 7, 2021
- Cascade use and Circularity are central themes in WoodCircus White PaperNovember 25, 2021
- Press Release: EPF announces -2.1% result for European wood-based panels in 2020. Compares favourably to GDP (-6.1%) due to market share gains.June 16, 2021
- Press release: Mr Martin Brettenthaler is confirmed as the new EPF Chairman. Dr Paolo Fantoni steps down after 6 years at the helm. Mr Bernard Thiers continues as Vice-Chairman.June 11, 2021
- Press Release: Significant potential of the Renovation Wave to store carbon in the European building environment confirmed by Club du Bois organisersMay 28, 2021
- Press Release from the wood4bauhaus virtual conference: REFOREST OUR PLANET, RETIMBER OUR CITIESApril 9, 2021
- Train the Trainer Seminar on the Action Guide on Formaldehyde on Thursday 19 November 2020October 26, 2020
- 12th European Wood-based Panel Symposium postponed until 12-14 October 2022August 14, 2020
- NEW EPF Annual Report 2020-2021
- EPF Advocacy Leaflet
- EU Forest-based Industries 2050 : How Storage, Sequestration and Substitution (the 3S framework) make a positive climate contribution equivalent to 20% of all EU fossil emissions
- EU Forest-Based Industries 2050: a Vision of sustainable choices for a climate-friendly future [Vision 2050] [ FBI Vision 2050 Full]
- Action Guide on Formaldehyde signed on 28 Nov 2018 in Lisbon
Wood-based panel industry in Europe
What is a wood-based panel?
Wood-based panels combine wood in different forms (fibres, sawdust, chips, flakes and veneers) into sheets of differing thicknesses and constructions. Formed under heat and pressure typically with the addition of a synthetic adhesive (some fibreboard products utilise the natural binders found within wood), panels are engineered to provide a wide variety of strength and other physical attributes that enable them to satisfy a wide variety of end uses particularly in the building products and furniture industries.
The broad categories of wood-based panels manufactured by European Panel Federation members include:
Within these broad categories, there are a multitude of value added variants available with enhanced characteristics which is why today wood-based panels are used extensively in the home, in modern furniture and in construction. Although often hidden beneath coatings, veneers and other coverings, or embedded in the structural fabric of a building, wood-based panels are ubiquitous in our society.