- Press release: EPF experts explore techniques to enhance protection of workers against potential risks of fire or explosion accidentsSeptember 23, 2022
- Press Release: EPF applauds the inclusion of the cascade use of wood principle in the Renewable Energy Directive (RED III)September 15, 2022
- Press release: Wood4Bauhaus Alliance welcomes the European Parliament’s Report on the New European BauhausSeptember 14, 2022
- PRESS RELEASE The EPF Annual Report 2021-2022July 14, 2022
- Press Release: EPF reports strong 2021 results but is cautious for 2022, launches 5 Strategic Directions, announces Board changes, and rings in an era of sustainability at their AGM 2022 in GhentJuly 1, 2022
- Press Release from the wood4bauhaus virtual conference: REFOREST OUR PLANET, RETIMBER OUR CITIESApril 9, 2021
- Train the Trainer Seminar on the Action Guide on Formaldehyde on Thursday 19 November 2020October 26, 2020
- Programme of the 12th European Wood-based Panel Symposium, 30 September – 2 October 2020 in Hamburg, GermanyMay 26, 2020
- Remember to CHECK OUT our EPF video: Wood-based Panels “Circular by Design”
- EC President Mrs Ursula von der Leyen highlights the benefit of using wood in construction
- NEW EPF Annual Report 2021-2022
- NEW FactSheet: EPFs 5 Strategic Directions
- EPF Advocacy Leaflet
- EU Forest-based Industries 2050 : How Storage, Sequestration and Substitution (the 3S framework) make a positive climate contribution equivalent to 20% of all EU fossil emissions
- EU Forest-Based Industries 2050: a Vision of sustainable choices for a climate-friendly future [Vision 2050] [ FBI Vision 2050 Full]
- Action Guide on Formaldehyde signed on 28 Nov 2018 in Lisbon
Wood-based panel industry in Europe
What is a wood-based panel?
Wood-based panels combine wood in different forms (fibres, sawdust, chips, flakes and veneers) into sheets of differing thicknesses and constructions. Formed under heat and pressure typically with the addition of a synthetic adhesive (some fibreboard products utilise the natural binders found within wood), panels are engineered to provide a wide variety of strength and other physical attributes that enable them to satisfy a wide variety of end uses particularly in the building products and furniture industries.
The broad categories of wood-based panels manufactured by European Panel Federation members include:
Within these broad categories, there are a multitude of value added variants available with enhanced characteristics which is why today wood-based panels are used extensively in the home, in modern furniture and in construction. Although often hidden beneath coatings, veneers and other coverings, or embedded in the structural fabric of a building, wood-based panels are ubiquitous in our society.