- EPF announces a 1.7% production increase for European Wood-based Panels in 2018, re-elects Dr Paolo Fantoni as Chairman, and confirms Mr Mārtiņš Lācis to the Managing BoardJuly 5, 2019
- EPF strongly supports the Single MarketMay 8, 2019
- EU Conference “Our Forests Our Future” – Brussels, 25-26 April 2019May 6, 2019
- Trade Issues with Stakeholders in MoroccoApril 29, 2019
- EPF member of Industry4EuropeApril 24, 2019
Wood-based panel industry in Europe
What is a wood-based panel?
Wood-based panels combine wood in different forms (fibres, sawdust, chips, flakes and veneers) into sheets of differing thicknesses and constructions. Formed under heat and pressure typically with the addition of a synthetic adhesive (some fibreboard products utilise the natural binders found within wood), panels are engineered to provide a wide variety of strength and other physical attributes that enable them to satisfy a wide variety of end uses particularly in the building products and furniture industries.
The broad categories of wood-based panels manufactured by European Panel Federation members include:
Within these broad categories, there are a multitude of value added variants available with enhanced characteristics which is why today wood–based panels are used extensively in the home, in modern furniture and in construction. Although often hidden beneath coatings, veneers and other coverings, or embedded in the structural fabric of a building, wood-based panels are ubiquitous in our society.